Duration: One year renewable, w/ initial 3-month probation
Employee Status: Full-time
Hours: 40 hours/week (8:30 am – 5 pm); additional hours as necessary
Location: Spintex – Accra, Ghana
Reports to: Executive Director
The Marketing and Communications Officer (MCO) is responsible for supporting and executing the strategies of the organization to increase visibility and brand awareness by preparing marketing material, articles and talking points, drafting and editing press releases, newsletters, donor reports and annual organizational reports, as well developing and updating the JA Ghana website and supervising updates to social media sites.
The MCO also assists with planning and coordinating all JA Ghana events, and serves as the primary liaison of the JA Ghana Alumni network.
- Develop comprehensive and strategic marketing and communications plan that includes both internal and external initiatives
- Drive strategy across the organization to integrate traditional, social media and digital marketing into the communications plan
- Proactively develop creative ideas and solutions to position JA Ghana through traditional and digital communications channels
- Work with Executive Director to develop funding partnerships and cobranded opportunities and to produce special events
- Work with Program Officers to develop and execute communications and marketing plans as they relate to the yearly calendar of programming
- Responsibly maintain quality control on all deliverables to ensure they are on strategy, on-message, up-to-par with expectations and always cater to the strategic marketing objective
- Manage internal team (of one), developing goals, setting objectives and priorities, and monitoring performance for annual review
- Develop high-quality communications including quarterly newsletters, annual reports, periodic updates to the JA Ghana fact sheet and other collateral materials
- Review/develop content, and manage the production of JA Ghana marketing and communication documents
- Develop marketing tools for distribution to the Board of Directors, educators, current/potential funders and other stakeholders
- Build and maintain communication with JA Worldwide/ JA Africa to ensure that relevant information and resources are available to stakeholders in Ghana
- Develop and share content regularly and consistently across JA Ghana’s social and other media outlets/platform
- Lead the execution of JA’s digital educational strategy such as podcasts
- Coordinate all aspects of the National Business Pitch Competition, working closely with the Program team in charge of the Company Program and the Executive Director to ensure the execution of a successful event
- Establish and execute all assigned event logistics, including leadership and oversight for all event production, from planning, invitations, programs/ brochures to wrap-up (timelines, meetings, staffing, run of the show, etc.)
- Secure and coordinate all appropriate permits, and licensing prior to events
- Identify and solicit in-kind donations for events
- Identify, supervise, and train volunteers at events
- Develop and maintain communications budget
- Keep apprised of brand/products/services/marketing developments as well as trends and competition within the industry to ensure all communications are on the cutting edge of industry standards
- Balance analytical thinking and approaches with creative thinking and long-term vision.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Public Relations or Marketing & Communications. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience in communications
- Familiarity with creative processes, resources and social media platforms
- High levels of accountability and drive
- High level of attention to detail and proven ability to work independently and within a group under strict deadlines on multiple projects
- Must be a strong writer, and have excellent oral and presentation skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse internal and external stakeholders, as well as independently; experience with and ability to work remotely
- Must have experience in coordinating, managing, problem-solving, and executing projects independently
- Must have proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher)
- Design software experience such as Photoshop and other Adobe applications and platforms, Canva, etc. photography/videography experience is a plus
- Must have proficiency in social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and WordPress. Familiarity with social media tools and analytics
- Maturity, discreetness and ability to maintain confidentiality of information
- Experience organizing large events such as conferences or coordinating national or regional events is a plus.
- Knowledge of social entrepreneurship and youth economic empowerment
- Experience in implementing education programs
Please send the below documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application for Marketing and Comms Officer Position – Your Name” (e.g. Application for Marketing And Comms Officer Position – Yaw Barima), no later than Friday, September 30, 2022, at 5 pm GMT.
- CV/resume– should have the naming convention “CV_Your Name” (e.g. CV_Yaw Barima)
- Cover letter addressed to “The Executive Director, JA Ghana”– should have the naming convention “Cover Letter_Your Name” (e.g. Cover Letter_Yaw Barima)
- 2 Writing Samples(at least one should be professional/academic) – should have the naming convention “Writing Sample 1_ Your Name” and “Writing Sample 2_Your Name”
- List of 3 professional references
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must be residents of Ghana and have legal authorization to work.